How to use in class
This is how I envisage myself implementing this in class
• I create a tub of cool down cubes as seen in the picture.
• When I see a child with known behavioral issues becoming stressed or agitated, I place this on their desk.
• The student then takes a cube and carries out the recommended action.
• Hopefully over time the student becomes familiar with all the suggestions on the cubes, and is able to calm themselves down without it.
Positives that I can see of this system include
• I can give the student the cubes without disrupting the overall flow of my lesson.
• The student independently can choose a solution to their problem.
• Over time the student learns the self-control techniques and would no longer require the cubes.
• It is non-confrontational.
• I can ask other teachers for ideas to write on the cubes.
Suggested Student Strategies to write on the cubes
• Positive self talk
• Go for a walk
• Stop & Think
• Ask for help
• Count to ten
• Write it down
• Walk away
• Go outside
• Tell Teacher
• Take a timeout
• Deep breathe
• Play sport
• Squeeze stress ball
• Talk it out
• Draw & Color
Resources from Amazon
As an Amazon Associate The Magic Crayons earn from qualifying purchases