Technology in the classroom and teacher resources blog
For the last month I have been teaching K2-Grade 1 students in Daily 5. Although I have observed many Daily 5 classes over the years I was at a loss as to how best to introduce it and encourage adoption by my students.
The Daily 5 - Fostering Literacy in the Elementary Grades (first edition) by Gail Bushy and Joan Moser is an awesome easy to access book that really supported me. You can read it from start to finish, or just drop into a particular skill you wish the students to acquire. I will be revisiting the book as a whole over the break, and I still refer to each section when planning. It is a highly recommended read.
Here is the book contents. There about 100 pages in all, and very accessible.
Part 1: Daily Five Basics
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: From management to principled habits: Foundations of the Daily Five
- Chapter 3: What's the difference?: Key materials, concepts and routines for launching the Daily Five
Part 2: The Daily Five In Actions
- Chapter 4: Read to Self
- Chapter 5: Read to Someone and Listen to Reading
- Chapter 6: Work in Writing and Word Work
- Chapter 7: Putting It All Together and Trouble shooting
I read the first edition which is still available.
The second edition includes...Read more >>>